November 14, 2014

WICE Cultural Studies: Spotlight on Vincent Fournols

WICE presents its Up Close and Personal series to give you an insider view of the fascinating members and staff who make up this exciting association.  This week's focus is on Vincent Fournols, WICE's Cultural Studies instructor. 
Vincent Fournols

Join WICE in welcoming Vincent Fournols,  a Parisian born and raised movie buff.  Since childhood, he has seen, documented, and analyzed around 4,000 different films.


Vincent in his own words:

Paris has allowed me to cultivate and nurture a taste for movies (that I inherited from my parents), that has grown over the years.   There is positively no other city in the world that has as many movie screens and offers such a wide range of films of all kinds and nationalities. When I was 15, I started a cardboard file of all the films I saw, and now it is a hefty computerized database. When I was 22, I spent 3 months in Paris constantly going to the cinemas. Then I did a 3-month internship at Gaumont, one of the two major French film companies. I saw 150 films in 6 months and that's when my expertise on film really started. In my experiences of living abroad and extensive travels, I always watch the local film productions, (most recently India).


Image by Vincent Fournols
My upcoming film courses: Paris When It Flickers Part 1 and Part 2 are going to be very pragmatic.  They will be mostly based on my love for the City and my own viewer experience, which I qualify as down-to-earth and unprejudiced.  The courses will probably be surprising in some of their approaches and sources. They will be open to interactivity, since I encourage students to share their views. And of course the course discussions will be illustrated with movie clips. I will also provide an extensive list of related films, so the course attendees can explore the subject further.


Through these courses I want to tease and expand my students’ curiosity towards movies, and towards Paris.  Through the films that we will discuss and view, I hope to convey how rich, attractive, and fascinating Paris is, beyond its clichés. I’m also looking forward to these courses because I am always very keen on meeting people, especially in an intercultural context.  These encounters are often surprising and always highly rewarding.


Register Now for Vincent’s Upcoming Courses:

Thursday, November 20, 2014
14h30 to 16h30


Thursday, December 4, 2014
14h30 to 16h