March 13, 2014

WICE Visual Arts: Spotlight on Alastair Arthur

WICE presents its Up Close and Personal series to give you an insider view of the fascinating members and staff who make up this remarkable association.  This week's focus is on Alastair Arthur, WICE's coordinator for its Film courses and events. 

photography film classes paris
Alastair Arthur
www.alastairarthur.com


Why did you move to Paris and what do you do here?

paris photography film classes
photo by Alastair Arthur
My wife was initially on a short-term assignment in Paris while I continued to live and work in England. When her company wanted to extend her assignment significantly we decided to accept and move to Paris long-term. It seemed too good an opportunity to turn down!
I run my own photography business www.alastairarthur.com, offering portrait sessions for families, couples and individuals in Paris and the UK. I also coordinate the film courses for WICE as part of the Visual Arts team, and I'm a trustee with Unseen, an amazing anti-human-trafficking charity that started in my hometown of Bristol.



How did you find out about WICE and why did you join?

I came across WICE online whilst searching to see what training was available in Paris for an Anglophone. The prices seemed good and I joined initially to attend one of the photography courses. I then started volunteering with WICE in the Visual Arts department last summer.

 
paris photography film classes
photo by Alastair Arthur
Which WICE courses have you taken?

I've taken photography courses with all three of the current instructors and each has been excellent. No matter how much you think you know there is always more to learn and the WICE courses offer a lot of variety. The instructors each have their own styles and specific skills sets so you can focus on the area you want to improve. I've also been on an arranged visit to Studio Harcourt courtesy of WICE, and occasionally attempt to improve my terrible French at the free French-English conversation groups.


What have you enjoyed the most in your experiences with WICE?
paris photography film courses
photo by Alastair Arthur

Whilst the instruction has been excellent, for me it's the social aspect that has been most enjoyable. I've made new contacts and friends, and keep in touch with a number of people that I met through WICE partly through attending courses and partly through volunteering.
In the courses themselves, I love the friendly, informal atmosphere. There are no stressful demands or expectations, and everyone can progress at their own pace. Keeping the group sizes relatively small allows for a lot of interaction and I think that greatly helps the learning process.


How has WICE affected your stay in Paris and what have you gained from WICE that you didn't expect?
paris photography film courses
photo by Alastair Arthur

The most significant effect has been in terms of meeting new people. I meet up with a few other WICE guys regularly to 'philosophise' and sample the kind of French culture that comes served in a large glass.  One pleasant surprise has been to learn more about film making. Although I coordinate the courses, I’m still learning a lot about the process of planning, shooting and editing videos. The new film courses are a great way to learn.


How do you describe WICE to your friends?

That WICE is a great place for English speakers in Paris to meet and learn together. The courses are many and varied and cover much of French culture. It's a friendly group and it would be great to see it grow further and help more people expand their knowledge and skills.


What are you looking forward to in terms of future WICE offerings?
paris photography film classes
photo by Alastair Arthur


Last year we introduced the idea of a 'Friday Film Festival', where we get together one Friday every month to make some popcorn and watch a film together. We've been a small gathering so far so I'd love to see more people join us, submit their film suggestions, and make it a great social event. Next month is the comedy 'Hot Fuzz' and I'm sure it's going to be a fun evening.






Thanks Alastair!  We'll be sure to join you at the upcoming Friday Film Festival. 

*****