The quest is noble and eternal. We are always searching for a great-value wine. We know there are elegant wines for 25 euros and more, but most of us can’t afford that price tag every day.
To solve this dilemma with gusto, WICE organized The Great Everyday Wine-Off. Our fearless leader, Tom Boothe, asked four knowledgeable cavistes to recommend their favorite wine under 12 euros—white and red. What would they personally take home as a delicious affordable wine?
The results are in. The WICE wine tasters voted the Domaine Rollin Haute-Côtes de Beaune Blanc as the best white (a rich chardonnay from Burgundy) and the Etna Rosso, Firriato as the best red (a Sicilian wine with red fruit, flowers, spice, and a hint of Mount Etna). All the wines we sampled were interesting and an excellent value. Taste for yourself!
- Winner: 2008 Haute-Côtes de Beaune Blanc, Domaine Rollin père et fils. 12 euros at Les Caprices de l’Instant.
- Muskadig Breizh, Domaine de Haut-Planty. 7 euros at La Cave du Pantheon (a great deal!).
- 2008 Bourgogne Aligoté, Domaine Remi Jobard. 9 euros at Galeries Lafayette.
- 2009 Vermentino di Gallura Superiore “Monteoro,” Sella et Mosca. 11 euros at Enoteca Midi.
- Winner: 2008 Etna Rosso, Firriato. 13 euros at Enoteca Midi (get a 10% discount when you mention WICE, which squeaks this interesting wine under the 12-euro mark).
- 2009 Vins de Pays des collines Rhodaniennes, Domaine Monier. 11,30 euros at La Cave du Pantheon.
- 2004 Coteaux de Languedoc “Mont Marie,” Thierry Forestier. 11,50 euros at Les Caprices de l’Instant.
- 2007 Minervois “Loriza,” Khalhal-Pamiès. 10,60 at Galeries Lafayette
The Wine Shops:
- La Cave du Pantheon, 174 rue St Jacques, 75005. Metro: Cluny
- Les Caprices de l’Instant, 12 rue Jacques Coeur, 75004. Metro: Bastille
- Enoteca Midi, 77 rue Cherche Midi, 75006. Metro: Saint Placide (10% discount for WICE members).
- Galeries Lafayette, 40 blvd Haussmann, 75009. Metro: Chaussée d’Antin